[MPEG-OTSPEC] Does OpenType have a one to many GSUB-like feature please?

Erwin Denissen erwin.denissen at high-logic.com
Fri Dec 23 17:07:07 CET 2022

Hi William,

 > Does OpenType have a one to many GSUB-like feature please?

There is a substitution lookup type that replaces one glyph with a
collection of glyphs. See:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/typography/opentype/spec/gsub#lookuptype-2-multiple-substitution-subtable

 > I am wondering if a font could have a table where the
 > codepoint (or postscript name) of an emoji is substituted
 > by the codepoints of a sequence of regular text
 > characters, with the output then routed to a
 > text to speech system.

There is no such system AFAIK, but you can always make up your own font
table for your own use.

Best regards,

Erwin Denissen

High-Logic