[MPEG-OTSPEC] License Agreement question please

Vladimir Levantovsky vladimir.levantovsky at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 23:59:39 CET 2022

The 'fsType' field of the OS/2 table that specifies embedding permissions
(or embedding licensing rights, see
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/typography/opentype/spec/os2#fstype) and
license info URL and license description (that _may_ be included in a font
as part of the 'name' table info (see
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/typography/opentype/spec/name#name-ids) are
unrelated fields. The former provides information about font embedding
rights that can be used by different applications (e.g. PDF or Office suite)
while the latter simply allows a font file to include its license info. In
reality, this is rarely the case, because the same font can be licensed to
different entities for different types of use under very different licenses.

In the majority of cases, the license rights are specified in the agreement
that is signed when a font is acquired, and its conditions are binding. In
legal world, if there is ever a case when two different licenses exist, and
one of them is more restrictive than the other - the less restrictive
license is in effect. Lawyers would always try to avoid being in this
situation - it's easier to have the licensing rights spelled out in the
agreement for each customer; they are typically _not_ included in the
licensed copy of the font itself.

Hope this helps,
Vladimir