[MPEG-OTSPEC] Expressing a colourful glyph in a QR code and application of such a QR code

William_J_G Overington wjgo_10009 at btinternet.com
Mon Dec 4 23:27:39 CET 2023

Dear Vladimir

Thank you for your reply.

What I have in mind is standardizing the implementation of this idea of
mine.

For example, suppose that in a future version of a fontmaking program,
for example High-Logic FontCreator, an end user could have available a
facility such that one would highlight a particular glyph in a font then
use, from a menu, a facility

Export glyph information encoded in a QR code

the output being a QR code in a graphics file

and a facility

Export glyph information as a text string suitable for encoding in a QR
code using "your" QR code generating facility

the output being a text string in a text file
Scanning a printed QR code containing such information with a smartphone
(or other device) would allow a glyph encoded in accordance with the
existing font standard to become generated either as a single glyph font
or as adding a glyph into an existing font, as desired: thereby becoming
available for use in the smartphone (or other device).

My thinking is that if the format of the encoding is just something that
I have done myself, no matter how good a job I might make of designing
it, then it would quite likely just be like a piece of pure mathematics
that is never applied, yet if the encoding in an annex to the font
standard, or something similar, then the idea could quite possibly be
applied in various practical ways in the future.

Although such an encoding format is not in scope for the font standard
itself, is there a way that it can be standardized such that it is more
likely to become used in practice please, by manufacturers of fontmaking
programs and by manufacturers of apps for smartphones and other devices?

The format needs to become standardized in an open source manner and
have such ambience of provenance that it becomes used without concerns
by various manufacturers.

I accept that such standardization will not be as part of the font
standard, yet can it happen please? How could such standardization
happen please?

Best regards,

William Overington

Monday 4 December 2023