[MPEG-OTSPEC] comments wrt wide glyph ID proposal

William_J_G Overington wjgo_10009 at btinternet.com
Tue Dec 12 09:14:36 CET 2023

Peter Constable wrote as follows.

> But COLR might not be too difficult. So, we think it’s worth
> discussing options:

    1.  Postpone for future consideration.
    2.  Create a new major version — i.e., a new table tag — to design a
table with wide glyph IDs (it wouldn’t need to support narrow IDs).
    3.  Create a minor version enhancement (COLR v2) that maintains
backward compatibility while adding wide support.
I opine that option 1 Postpone for future consideration is best avoided
if that is possible. If nothing is done now, then when will it be done?
is often a good question to ask.

If option 3 is implemented, would that adversely affect implementing
option 2 at a later date?

Is it possible to implement both option 3 and option 2 at the same time,
perhaps with a later "activation date" for option 2, yet such that the
technical specification is available early? The reason that I suggest
this approach is that manufacturers of fontmaking software will need
time to implement the changes, so it would be better to have the
specifications available as soon as possible so that manufacturers can,
if they so choose, schedule the implementation work.

William Overington

Tuesday 12 December 2023