[MPEG-OTSPEC] [EXTERNAL] Re: monochrome compositing via COLR w/o CPAL

Peter Constable pconstable at microsoft.com
Fri Dec 22 03:27:11 CET 2023

Hi Laurence:

> Monochrome COLR (v0 and v1) fonts work perfectly well today in COLR-supporting environments

That's COLR supporting environments in which 2D graphics operations need to be supported.

> since all of them allow setting of alpha; and setting and varying alpha makes sense in monochrome fonts

That is adding significant complexity and resource requirements to monochrome rasterization. The TrueType (and, I'm sure, CFF) rasterizer allows for fast processing with limited resources: grid lines are scanned and bi-level pixels (1 bit per pixel) are set, plus simple Boolean operations on the pixel values. For what you're suggesting, the implementation will needs to use 8 bits per pixel with integer arithmetic operations on pixel values (including multiply and divide) instead of simple boolean operations.

I'm not an engineer that has to maintain a rasterizer implementation, but as a Technical PM I'm suspicious that that kind of change is what would be accepted for monochrome rasterization in a broad range of environments. It's because of that I want to make sure it's called out what is being suggested.

As for the additional problem I called out, this came to my mind after it was suggested that COLR without CPAL could be a heuristic for a rasterizer to determine that it should use the COLR table to construct composite glyphs. You suggest there isn't an issue if presence of CPAL is irrelevant: the rasterizer can always use COLR to construct composite glyphs, and simply replace any palette index values with Oxffff. With that assumption, then indeed a font could support both colour and monochrome rendering while using COLR composites in both cases. But that's built on a premise that the full capabilities of COLR (minus other colour values) should be available in monochrome rasterization. I'm not sure we really would want to go there.

Peter