[MPEG-OTSPEC] Shared GSUB/GPOS notes, was Re: dmap proposal

Simon Cozens simon at simon-cozens.org
Wed Dec 27 19:08:55 CET 2023

On 27/12/2023 16:55, John Hudson wrote:
> Do we? The langsys mechanism in OTL has proven to be unreliable for
> coming up on thirty years,

I'm uncomfortable with this wording and this line of argument. The
langsys mechanism in OTL works *fine*; application vendor
implementations do not.

The reason why the distinction is important is that it guides how we
should respond; what I am uncomfortable about is making decisions about
the spec based on the behaviour of people who fail to implement it.
Telling those same vendors "because you didn't implement X correctly,
we've now added Y and need you to implement that" will almost certainly
lead to Y not being properly implemented either.