[MPEG-OTSPEC] Shared GSUB/GPOS notes, was Re: dmap proposal

Skef Iterum skef at skef.org
Wed Dec 27 22:10:24 CET 2023

I would characterize it as almost entirely a data efficiency measure; it
just reduces file size. Similarly with dmap. dmap probably slightly
increases the amount of processing involved. Multiple overlapping GSUBs
won't change the processing time but the design assumes one is already
starting with a single cmap and substituting in GSUB, which will take
slightly more time than starting with per-language/region cmaps.

I think the assumption here is that all such processing is dwarfed by,
e.g., glyph rendering costs, so reducing file size relative to it is a
virtue.

Skef