[MPEG-OTSPEC] Shared GSUB/GPOS notes, was Re: dmap proposal

Skef Iterum skef at skef.org
Wed Dec 27 22:56:22 CET 2023

With this sort of deep and messy question it can be clarifying to
consider how one /should/ address the answer in the specification.

If I understand you right, things have gone against the script/language
mechanism over the past decades on the (broadly speaking) client side.
So the responsible thing to do now would be to deprecate that mechanism
in the spec and recommend that future fonts do all substitutions and
positioning in the context of DFLT dflt. This will save foundries a lot
of effort and heartache.

Analytically: if this is what should be said then we should say it.

What worries me about the dmap proposal /as a solution to the
language/region problem/ is:

 1. Instead of saying the above outright, it sort of mumbles it in a way
    that will be picked up on by sophisticated readers, who will realize
    that constructing TTC slots with distinct (effective) cmaps, and
    then also trying to have all of those slots support every language
    via GSUB/GPOS, increases the development burden and multiplies the
    QA burden so that must not have been the intended goal.
 2. Because of 1, it creates a self-fulfilling prophecy of fewer and
    fewer fonts using the GSUB/GPOS mechanism leaving less and less of a
    reason for client-side implementations to use them fully and correctly.

Thus we consign the future to the present while hanging anyone who
missed the message out to dry.

In contrast, a hinge point in GSUB/GPOS means that one can design a
single unified font and just tie into the "initial" script/language
using the overlapping GSUB trick (which could presumably be canned in a
tool-set like fontTools) and TTC, addressing the messy present while not
giving up on the better future.

Skef