[MPEG-OTSPEC] AHG kick-off - we have important work to do!

Vladimir Levantovsky vladimir.levantovsky at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 21:43:23 CEST 2023

Dear AHG members,

I would like to use this opportunity to remind you that we have two very
important mandates to work on (to review the updated WD text of 5th edition
OFF and to review the "Technologies under consideration" document, see links
below in my previous email) before the next WG3 (MPEG Systems) meeting that
will take place on July 17-21 in Geneva.

One of the mandates, the mandate #2 specifically asks to review the proposed
changes summarized in the "Technologies under consideration" document
WG03N0888 and provide  our recommendations to the WG3 on the ways forward.
The document summarizes a number of proposed changes that aren't strictly
linked to one another - each of the proposals can be reviewed and dealt with
separately, and I believe (my personal opinion, FWIW) that some of the
changes would offer noticeable benefits _and_ can be implemented with
minimal efforts. There are some ongoing discussions happening on GitHub
(where the original proposal has originated, see
https://github.com/harfbuzz/boring-expansion-spec/issues), and want to make
sure that the members of this AHG have an opportunity to follow the
discussions and stay involved. However, we do need to discuss the proposed
changes as part of the AHG work to agree on the way forward and on our
future recommendations for WG3.

I would like to ask all interested parties to review the proposed changes
summarized in "Technologies under consideration" document, and to state your
position for each of the proposals. Every input and every opinion is
important - statements of support, counter-proposals, discussion of possible
implementation challenges and/or concerns, backward compatibility issues
that any of the proposed changes might introduce would be a fair topic for
discussion. but it needs to happen soon! Our input contribution registration
deadline is end of day July 10 (Central EU time), and all registered
documents would have to be uploaded by end of day July 12. Remember, silence
is approval, so it you see anything that may be a cause for concern - say
something!