[MPEG-OTSPEC] Scheduling Zoom meeting to discuss new proposals and AHG recommendations

Josh Hadley johadley at adobe.com
Fri Jun 30 20:18:21 CEST 2023

Hello Vlad & AHG members,

Vlad asked me to post some additional details on Adobe’s thoughts on the proposed updates to the format. Those follow below. We hope these notes will be useful for discussions in the upcoming July 6 meeting and other meetings that might follow.

  *   avar v2: generally seems straightforward (and is already implemented by Apple & others); we are in favor of moving forward with getting this adopted as proposed.

For the following 3 points, we have general concerns about fonts created with the proposed updates landing on legacy systems which cannot be updated to recognize the new scheme. The proposed updates seem to be designed in a way that would allow that to happen (easily) which would result in a very poor user experience.

  *   Breaking the 16-bit glyph count limit: we are definitely interested in making some form of this happen as we have a number of projects that would benefit.
  *   Variable Components: we support this idea and have several projects that would benefit considerably from it.
  *   Cubic-in-glyf: the proposal seems somewhat incomplete regarding hints and how they will work.

We would also like to remind folks that the format has already adopted CFF2 which uses cubics and can already address > 16-bit glyph indices.

Thanks,

Josh Hadley
Adobe