[MPEG-OTSPEC] Some research on TT instructions and cubics

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 19:37:16 CEST 2023

On 23/09/2023 17:05, Laurence Penney wrote:
> Is this a serious issue? Surely all binary formats have trillions of potential configurations of bits that do not conform to the spec. If your complaint is about the idea of undefined behaviour in a spec, then there are numerous instances of that would be up for discussion. If you want undefined behaviour to be replaced by insistence that a font should be rejected, then I think that goes against the ethos of many real-world font processors.

IMO: I think the spec should *either* state that if the glyph data
violates these "must" requirements, nothing will be rendered for that
glyph; *or else* it should clearly specify how "anomalous" cases -- such
as the CUBIC flag being set on a single off-curve point -- are to be
processed, so that implementations produce a consistent result.

One possible way forward, for example, would be to specify that for any
contour where the CUBIC flag is used in violation of the rules given,
all CUBIC flags must be ignored and the contour processed entirely
according to legacy TrueType quadratic behavior.

Leaving it explicitly undefined pretty much guarantees that
implementations will come up with incompatible results, and fonts will
get created that (inadvertently) depend on one implementation's behavior.