[MPEG-OTSPEC] mapping out dmap

Hin-Tak Leung htl10 at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Apr 23 20:24:56 CEST 2024

 I can think of one possible use of dmap deletion - the complete GB18030 (the current official Chinese character set) contains both traditional and simplified variants and historical forms relocated from the current unicode code points. It may be the designers' decision to have a master cmap, but delete all the traditional Chinese variants, to indicate an official preference of discouraging people from using those.
(This is of course achievable by an additive process too, as can as fully/different ttc's)
And possibly quite useful for even with traditional variants (HK/TW forms) and SG/CN simplified variants to have the capability of deleting - I.e. explicitly skipping some glyphs to discourage their use. E.g. you can discourage the use of HK slang words in TW-based writings, if you are some sort of purist in language use.
Addition is core plus variants, but you can do the opposite, as in complete minus optional/deprecated ?
    On Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 17:46:34 BST, Takaaki Fuji 藤 貴亮 via mpeg-otspec <mpeg-otspec at lists.aau.at> wrote:

 Thank you for confirmation! I’m okay with this and I was just curious about the conclusion so far.

Takaaki Fuji