[MPEG-OTSPEC] "anim" feature tag

Skef Iterum skef at skef.org
Wed Jan 31 10:45:46 CET 2024

This is another proposal idea I can't do properly in the pre-April time
frame, but it's short and simple.

Imagine you're a video editor working on a cable commercial about a new
way to Make Lots of Money!!!  You overlay a row of dollar signs from a
cool variable display font and animate them to "pulse" by changing their
weight. Unfortunately, when you look at the result the number of slashes
in each dollar sign keeps changing, greatly distracting your otherwise
elegant and sophisticated effect.

The problem here is that doing the right thing for a given position in
design space isn't always the right thing for animations that change the
design space.

I think this distinction calls for a new registered feature tag,
probably 'anim', that when active avoids, undoes, or compensates for any
(or most) such abrupt adjustments. While this is something that could
always just be thrown onto 'ss15' or whatever, it would be better to
have a reserved name so that animation tools can leave that tag turned
on by default.

A registered feature tag would also indicate something by its presence
in a font: "we've thought about this problem". Designers might even
throw it into a font with no such adjustments just to advertise that it
is compatible with animation use.

This is a simple enough idea, but I lack the context to come up with
specifically what the section needs to say -- what advice to give to
designers. Someone closer to the design side of things would do a better
job. If anyone comes up with that wording but doesn't want to worry
about ISO header pages and such, send it to me and I'll wrap it up into
a proposal.

Thanks,
Skef