[MPEG-OTSPEC] "anim" feature tag

Simon Cozens simon at simon-cozens.org
Wed Jan 31 10:51:21 CET 2024

On 31/01/2024 09:45, Skef Iterum via mpeg-otspec wrote:
> This is a simple enough idea, but I lack the context to come up with
> specifically what the section needs to say -- what advice to give to
> designers. Someone closer to the design side of things would do a better
> job. If anyone comes up with that wording but doesn't want to worry
> about ISO header pages and such, send it to me and I'll wrap it up into
> a proposal.

I started to think about what the wording should be: the advice would be
that you should replace any glyphs which have such "breaks" by glyphs
with glyphs which don't - i.e. replace glyphs which have Feature
Variations by those which don't.

Then I realised that instead of having a feature tag, the animation
software could just not bother to process Feature Variations, or at
least have an option to turn Feature Variation processing off.