[MPEG-OTSPEC] Does a rendering system know if a variation selector requested glyph is not available in a font?

William_J_G Overington wjgo_10009 at btinternet.com
Sat Jun 22 00:41:25 CEST 2024

Thank you.

Interestingly I noticed today in the Unicode Current Documents Register
web page the following document title, though the document is not posted
at the time of writing this post.

Proposal to Encode a Set of 128 User-Defined Variation Selectors (WG2
N5266)

However, searching for WG2 N5266 did find a document.

https://www.unicode.org/wg2/docs/n5266-UVS_Proposal.pdf
<https://www.unicode.org/wg2/docs/n5266-UVS_Proposal.pdf>

So using Variation Selectors could, if the proposal is accepted, become
a much more attractive proposition for researchers.

It did occur to me that, in my opinion, it would be better to encode 256
User-Defined Variation Selectors.

William Overington

Friday 21 June 2024