[MPEG-OTSPEC] Does a rendering system know if a variation selector requested glyph is not available in a font?

John Hudson john at tiro.ca
Sat Jun 22 01:27:10 CEST 2024

On 2024-06-21 3:41 pm, William_J_G Overington wrote:
> It did occur to me that, in my opinion, it would be better to encode
> 256 User-Defined Variation Selectors.

Unless you are anticipating 256 variations of a single character needing
to be captured in plain text, that would be significant overkill.
Indeed, even if the arguments of the proposal document are accepted, I
doubt if 128 codepoints would be assigned to implementing it. I suspect
64 would be plenty and 48 would /probably/ suffice.

Remember: a) you only need enough variation selectors to address the
number of variants, not the number of characters of which there are
variants; and b) these would be the equivalent of PUA variation
selectors, so with no guaranteed interoperability beyond private
agreement among font makers and within user communities. So the
variation selectors would be shared among characters and also across
fonts for different fields and communities of scholars.

John Hudson
Tiro Typeworks Ltdwww.tiro.com

Tiro Typeworks is physically located on islands
in the Salish Sea, on the traditional territory
of the Snuneymuxw and Penelakut First Nations.

EMAIL HOUR
In the interests of productivity, I am only dealing
with email towards the end of the day, typically
between 4PM and 5PM. If you need to contact me more
urgently, please use other means.