[MPEG-OTSPEC] Does a rendering system know if a variation selector requested glyph is not available in a font?

William_J_G Overington wjgo_10009 at btinternet.com
Sat Jun 22 13:38:57 CEST 2024

        ------ Original Message ------
        From: john at tiro.ca
        To: wjgo_10009 at btinternet.com; htl10 at users.sourceforge.net;
mpeg-otspec at lists.aau.at
        Sent: Friday, June 21st 2024, 00:27
        Subject: Re: [MPEG-OTSPEC] Does a rendering system know if a

       On 2024-06-21 3:41 pm, William_J_G       Overington wrote:
       It       did occur to me that, in my opinion, it would be better
to encode       256 User-Defined Variation Selectors.     Unless you are
anticipating 256 variations of a single character       needing to be
captured in plain text, that would be significant       overkill.
Indeed, even if the arguments of the proposal document       are
accepted, I doubt if 128 codepoints would be assigned to
implementing it. I suspect 64 would be plenty and 48 would probably
suffice.
       Remember: a) you only need enough variation selectors to address
the number of variants, not the number of characters of which
there are variants; and b) these would be the equivalent of PUA
variation selectors, so with no guaranteed interoperability beyond
private agreement among font makers and within user communities.
So the variation selectors would be shared among characters and
also across fonts for different fields and communities of
scholars.

  John Hudson
  Tiro Typeworks Ltd    www.tiro.com

  Tiro Typeworks is physically located on islands
  in the Salish Sea, on the traditional territory
  of the Snuneymuxw and Penelakut First Nations.

  EMAIL HOUR
  In the interests of productivity, I am only dealing
  with email towards the end of the day, typically
  between 4PM and 5PM. If you need to contact me more
  urgently, please use other means.</pre>