[mpeg-OTspec] AHG on Open Font Format kick-off

mpsuzuki at hiroshima-u.ac.jp mpsuzuki at hiroshima-u.ac.jp
Fri Sep 5 21:24:09 CEST 2008

Dear Vladimir Levantovsky,

Great thank you for quick reply.

On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 14:54:46 -0400
"Levantovsky, Vladimir" <Vladimir.Levantovsky at MonotypeImaging.com> wrote:
>I will edit the header title for 'kern' table as you suggested.

Thank you!

>The "Recommendation" section (I believe this is what you were referring
>to as "cross-platform notes") has not been dropped. The whole section is
>in the text of the ISO/IEC 14496-22, clause 6 "Recommendations" (you can
>find comments specific to 'kern' table on page 365 of the current draft
>FCD, and comments on 'cmap' table on page 364).

I'm quite sorry that my previous message lacked the exact
reference. The "cross-platform notes" I mentioned was the
beginning of kern table description in OpenType spec, here
I quote:

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/kern.htm

	kern - Kerning

	NOTE: Apple has extended the definition of the 'kern'
	table to provide additional functionality.
	The Apple extensions are not supported on Windows.
	Fonts intended for cross-platform use or for the Windows
	platform in general should conform to the 'kern' table
	format specified here.

I think this note is not included in ISO/IEC 14496-22.
The recommendation for kern table describes how to make
a kern table working on Windows, but does not mention
about Apple platform.

>As far as 'kern' table and subtable version numbers and field
>definitions are concerned - the current text is identical to original
>text of OpenType specification 1.4 and 1.5. I f you believe it would be
>beneficial to modify / update the field descriptions - we would need to
>discuss and approve these changes as part of the established ISO ballot
>process. AHG can not make these decision on its own, without having it
>discussed and approved by the SC29/WG11. I would encourage you to submit
>your comments and proposals as FCD ballot National Body comments.

OK, the compatibility between ISO/IEC 14496-22 and
OpenType spec would be most prioritized task, I understand.
Fortunately, this is the compatibility issue with discouranged
legacy implementation and the urgent standardization is not essential
(Apple 16bit kern is already discouraged in Apple TrueType spec).
I will try to discuss with Apple engineers and propose the change
of OpenType spec 1.7 or later (if Apple engineers think it's
important).

Thank you very much,
mpsuzuki