Some typos in Open Font Format

Manlio Perillo manlio.perillo at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 20:15:03 CET 2009

Hi.

My name is Manlio Perillo, and I'm a freelance Italian developer.

I'm working on a PDF generation tool [1], in Python, and recently I have
implemented support for OpenType and Compact Font Format fonts and Type
2 Charstring format.

For OpenType, I'm using the ISO Open Font Format specification.

While reading the specification I have found some small problems.
I have reported them on the opentype-migration list and
Vladimir Levantovsky suggested me to report them in this mailing list, too.

Here is a list (updated) with the typos I found.
References are based on the second edition, PDF document [2].

1) Section 8.2, page 370.

  It is suggested to derive the format 4 ( encodings by simply
  adding 0xF000 to the format 0 (Macintosh) encodings.

  The error is in "the format 4 ("; there is an extraneous "("
  character.

2) Section 7, 'glyf' table, page 367.

  NOTE   t is recommended that developers ...

  There is a missing "i" character after "NOTE" and before "t"

3) Section 6.1.3, OFF layout terminology, page 117.

   The diagram has an incorrect text "Scipt" instead of "Script".
   Note that the diagram in page 121 is correct.
   And it also has a better appearance.

4) Section 6.4.3, Feature tags, page 302.

   The text (in the NOTE):
   "There is no guarantee the compatibility or usability of private
    features"

   does not seems correct english, to me.

[1] http://hg.mperillo.ath.cx/pdfimg, it is a Mercurial repository
[2] thanks for making the specification freely available.
    I think that all standards should be released this way.

Manlio Perillo