[mpeg-OTspec] Re: A path through the thicket

Leonardo Chiariglione leonardo at chiariglione.org
Wed Nov 25 19:27:02 CET 2009

Vladimir,

I believe we agreed to defer the discussions related to mandatory/optional
nature of any tag/attribute until after we have complete functional
descriptions of all XML tags we believe would be necessary / useful for
Composite Fonts spec.

This is very much the MPEG approach. First we develop the tools and then we
define profiles, i.e. groups of tools (groups of XML tags, in this case)
that are useful for a given purpose.

Terms we do not use are "mandatory" and "optional". In the MPEG language
everything is mandatory in a profile. The point is that the profile itself
may not be mandatory because we do not want to impose on all users the use
of all tools.

Leonardo