[mpeg-OTspec] Error in 'name' table

John Hudson john at tiro.ca
Fri Aug 5 20:16:23 CEST 2011

Michelle Perham wrote:

> Perhaps it would be more appropriate to put the former name in
> parenthesis: Odia (Oriya) or Odia (formerly Oriya)

There was some discussion about this on the Unicode Indic list, in terms
of the name of the script in Unicode and ISO 10646. I believe no action
is being taken there, at least not yet, and as was pointed out that this
isn't really a change in name but the substitution of one romanisation
of the name for another, and potentially opens the doors to others, e.g.
Bangla instead of Bengali.

Perhaps the question to ask is whether an OpenType script name is more
like a city or more like a duck, i.e. Beijing or Peking?

Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
Gulf Islands, BC      tiro at tiro.com

You may quote to me, render to Caesar the things that
are Caesar's, but St. Hilary commented on that, that
the less we had of Caesar, the less we would have to
render to him. -- Dorothy Day