[mpeg-OTspec] rclt feature -- minor concern

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Thu Aug 9 01:31:34 CEST 2012

On 08/08/2012 07:20 PM, Mansour, Kamal wrote:

> Sairus,
>
> To put it in perspective, I would say that the 'rclt' feature is a welcome
> addition for the more complex styles of Arabic writing, but it would not be
> required for many simple styles. If it's present in a font, it should not be
> normally possible to turn it off. By the way, 'rclt' will also be useful to
> many other scripts which might require  more than one pass to refine the final
> rendered shapes.

So, why can't everyone simply turn 'calt' on by default?  That's what Pango /
HarfBuzz / etc have been doing.  Not that I oppose 'rclt' (I already activated
it in HarfBuzz).  I just think we already have more than enough features.
Specially, features that are not supposed to be user-controllable can all be
gathered under one feature, there is no need to add more tags.

As for your "one pass" comment, that's invalid.  A single feature can contain
as many lookups, ie. passes, as needed to do its job.  Or did I misunderstand you?

My 0.02CAD,
behdad