[mpeg-OTspec] Updates to script and language tags

Bob Hallissy bobh528 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 3 22:55:49 CET 2013

Hi Michelle,

On 2013-01-03 at 15:01 Michelle Perham wrote:
> I’ve uploaded a document to the MPEG Yahoo Group and I’m happy to send
> it folks that aren’t on that list. Please contact me if you’d like to
> see it.

It would be helpful to include the name of the file you have uploaded --
Yahoo!Groups files area sorts alphanumerically only -- so in this case I
had to scan down the list manually to find a file with the appropriate
date :-(

For the benefit of others, the filename is LangScriptUpdates.doc.

> We’re proposing that a number of the language names be updated to
> names that have become more universally accepted.

Is it an intentional change from using U+0027 APOSTROPHE in names to
using U+2019 RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK (e.g., N'Ko -> N’ko) ? Or was
that an inadvertent result of Word's auto-correct?

I don't know that it is specified anywhere, but I wonder if these names
ought to stick to some fairly restricted character set, such as ISO
8859-1?  In any case, we should be consistent and not use U+2019 some
places and U+0027 in others.

Regards,

Bob