[mpeg-OTspec] Re: [OpenType] MS Proposal for a new Name Table ID

Sairus Patel sppatel at adobe.com
Sat Jan 5 01:11:25 CET 2013

I agree with John J, John H, and others that the 'name' table doesn't seem
like an appropriate place for this kind of information.

(That said, there is a name ID for PostScript name, which doesn't need to
be -- indeed, mustn't be -- localized/translated, and which typically is
not seen by the end user. However, PostScript name is a kind of font
identifier name, and other font identifier names e.g Family name are
localized and intended to be seen by users.)

It's true that the 'OS/2' table has become OT's extensible grab bag of
miscellaneous information. (The 'head' table could have served this
function -- both tables share similar information about style bits, for
example -- but for some reason hasn't.)

What would be different about adding this "languages supported" string to
the 'OS/2' (or 'head' for that matter) is that it's a variable-length
string, and thus far, these tables are fixed-length for a particular
version. But that shouldn't be an issue.

*If* we wanted to add this to the OS/2, it might look like this:

OS/2 version = 5
Add following fields:
ULONG  languages supported string offset (from beginning of OS/2 table)
ULONG  languages supported string length

The string could be spec'd as UTF-8 (or UTF-16 BE), comma-separated, etc.

Sairus