[OpenType] RE: [mpeg-OTspec] Re: Languages tags (Buruchaski & North Slavey)

Denis Jacquerye moyogo at gmail.com
Tue May 24 18:30:04 CEST 2016

The OT language system tag SLA already maps to ISO 639 [scs] (the ISO 639
code for North Slavey).
Slavey; SLA; scs

The super-language group of North and South Slavey can be added but it
cannot have the tag SLA since that already maps to [scs].
In ISO 639, the individual languages [scs] "North Slavey" and [xsl] "South
Slavey" are within the macrolanguage [den] "Slave (Athapascan)" (
http://www-01.sil.org/iso639-3/documentation.asp?id=den). However [scs] and
[xsl] are already mapped to with:
Athapascan; ATH; apk, apj, apl, apm, apw, nav, bea, sek, bcr, caf, crx,
clc, gwi, haa, chp, dgr, scs, xsl, srs, ing, hoi, koy, hup, ktw, mvb, wlk,
coq, ctc, gce, tol, tuu, kkz, tgx, tht, aht, tfn, taa, tau, tcb, kuu, tce,
ttm, txc

Looking at other languages that could benefit from having language system
tags: Fe’fe’ (also know as Nufi) [fmp], Medumba [byv] and Mbembe Tigon
[nza] and Mbo [mbo] use U+0251. That character’s should be distinguishable
from a U+0061, especially in Italic. The tags FMP,  BYV, MBO and NZA are
not assigned and are available in OT v1.7.

Could the following also be added:

# Language System; Language System Tag; ISO 639 ID
Fe’fe’; FMP; fmp
Medumba; BYV; byv
Mbembe Tigon; NZA; nza
Mbo; MBO; mbo