[MPEG-OTSPEC] a registry and an iso spec (Re: lookup processing and 'chws', 'vchw')

suzuki toshiya mpsuzuki at hiroshima-u.ac.jp
Thu Aug 20 03:32:53 CEST 2020

I think it's good idea to have a committee-based maintenance of the collection of the feature tags (not only feature, but also language, script, etc) in OpenType.

But, please let me mention about the rule of the "registration" system in ISO spec. In my understanding, the registration system is used for the cases which the periodical updating of the ISO spec is not appropriate - in such cases, the registry should be managed by a Registration Authority which ISO assigns by a RA agreement (I think this position is reasonable for ISO to guarantee the quality of the ISO spec). I think, a SC or a WG could not be a RA.

In addition, the latest RA agreement requests a liability insurance - it might be hard for the text shaping WG to find an external organization to be the RA for ISO.

I think it's good idea to have a committee (or community-?) based maintenance of the collection of the tags in OpenType. Is it possible to include "the maintenance of the registry" in the agenda for the meeting on 24th Aug?

Regards,
mpsuzuki