[MPEG-OTSPEC] Continue Fixing OT 1.x, or Start 2.0?

Dave Crossland dcrossland at google.com
Thu Aug 27 04:30:21 CEST 2020

I think "we" can propose a new format specification, and implement it in
libre software.

But getting it shipped in the majority of commercial proprietary platforms
is another story though... I think Peter Constable is right that there
needs to be a clear business case, so that executive sponsors of company
font teams will approve a multi year strategy to allocate their team
resources to the effort.

I think this is very tractable!

I like your proposal on the call to collect up all the backwards compatible
breaking changes into a roadmap, and make the combined weight of all the
improvements heavy enough to balast the business cases.

Also, I think using the trademark OpenType ® is only something Microsoft
can do.... And I also don't think it's wise to use that, because the most
unsophisticated users will not understand the difference between v1.x and
v2.x if they have the same brand name.