[MPEG-OTSPEC] Consensus Protocol

Levantovsky, Vladimir Vladimir.Levantovsky at monotype.com
Fri Sep 11 05:19:38 CEST 2020

So, say that Peter Constable proposes to update the COLR and CPAL table definitions, based on the work done in the Google Fonts github repo and then the Microsoft OpenType website, so that a 'beta' OT 1.9.0 document is available from microsoft.com/typography.<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/txSiCYEnxyt3Jkr3IGunxu>..
For changes to be made in the ISO OFF text – we need to start an amendment process. We are not limited to any particular single topic – an amendment is usually a collection of changes that address different parts of the standard. The style of the amendment document is simply a collection of the editorial instructions – replace paragraph X with Y, update the table A in subclause N with the new one below, etc.

What is the best way to get those new table definitions proposed - is a whole chapter "all at once" best?
It depends on the substance of the changes we would like to propose. If we introduce significant changes to the existing text of the subclause, we can simply direct users to consider the whole subsclause to be replaced; if we are adding few more paragraphs to an existing text, we can simply make it an implicit instruction to insert additional paragraphs, etc.

Like I said, many different changes can be bundled into a single amendment document, and because the number of amendments is limited (we only have one more chance to amend the 4th edition OFF text before we have to produce a consolidated 5th edition text) – I suggest that we should consider all the changes we are currently working on to be part of the same amendment document. Once we have a list of changes and have reviewed and agreed on the text for each one – I will prepare a consolidated proposal for review and approval of the AHG and submit it to the WG for approval as a new work item.

Vlad