[MPEG-OTSPEC] Introducing breaking changes into the spec (was: RE: [EXTERNAL] Proposal to deprecate derived search values)

John Hudson john at tiro.ca
Mon Sep 14 18:46:30 CEST 2020

Y’all are talking as if the font wars were a bad thing.

As I recall, the font wars a) forced Adobe to open up the PS Type 1
format, enabling the explosion of independent font foundries of the
1990s, b) were a period of innovation resulting in better text rendering
that was a significant contribution to the success of the Internet, and
c) focused competitive efforts on internationalisation and complex
script support.

Yes, it was an uncomfortable time for the companies involved: it
required them to actually do things and to innovate. And yes, it came
with frustrations for font and tool makers trying to understand the new
formats and implement them correctly for competing platforms. There is a
lot of be said in favour of collaborative innovation on a single format,
but relying on buy-in to collaboration as a prerequisite for innovation
can collapse into inaction very easily.

JH

John Hudson
Tiro Typeworks Ltd    www.tiro.com
Salish Sea, BC        tiro at tiro.com

NOTE: In the interests of productivity, I am currently
dealing with email on only two days per week, usually
Monday and Thursday unless this schedule is disrupted
by travel. If you need to contact me urgently, please
use some other method of communication. Thank you.