[MPEG-OTSPEC] 'opbd' feature

Adam Twardoch (Lists) list.adam at twardoch.com
Thu Sep 17 10:35:48 CEST 2020

I think that either LuaTeX or XeTeX support optical bounds, but I think
they b just call the lfbd & rtbd directly. I never got the idea how one
would implement opbd as this “meta feature”.

It’s worth noting that both Lorp & Yuri pointed out to me that designing
lfbd/rtbd is not so complex: in most alphabetic scripts, you basically get
the LSB/RSB of a flat glyph like H/n (ignoring serifs), and you subtract
that very value uniformly from the LSB/RSB of all glyphs. In a sense, this
is like tracking, which is also typically uniform.

The results are surprisingly good with fonts that are spaced in the typical
way — when you subtract the LSB of H from the LSB of O, A, V etc., the left
bounds of those glyphs will protrude just the right amount.

Of course type designers might want to refine this, but as a general rule,
just one value works surprisingly well.

A.