[MPEG-OTSPEC] Proposal to discontinue the AdHoc Group

Dave Crossland dcrossland at google.com
Mon Sep 21 15:10:45 CEST 2020

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020, 5:28 AM Behdad Esfahbod <behdad at behdad.org> wrote:

> Why do you insist on keeping the OFF status quo and keeping a closed eye
> to the abuses going on in it?

For myself, I am not a fan of the way the AHG has been conducted in the
past, nor the way it operates currently using this email list and a bizarre
DOCX based drafting process.

For the latter, I know for sure that we the AHG members can do better with
GitHub Issues, and a Markdown GitHub to STS XML drafting process; and I see
a clear path to getting there, even if ISO will not make the current MOFF
text available to the AHG.

To the former point, I believe documenting the change protocol, as Adam
expressed the need for, and holding everyone to it, will completely resolve
the procedural problems of the past. I'm particularly interested in this,
so that the current work with COLRv1 by Google is held to a high standard.
More work if this nature is coming.

So, I see no reason to discontinue the AHG while the possibility that it
can be reformed is so clear.

As Simon said, I am careful what I wish for.