[MPEG-OTSPEC] New AHG mandates and other news!

William_J_G Overington wjgo_10009 at btinternet.com
Thu May 6 17:33:40 CEST 2021

> As part of the mandate #2, we are also encouraged to start exploration
> activities to discuss the next round of changes that will become the
> basis for the new OFF 5th edition work item – your contributions to
> these topics (both on this list and / or new issues on
> MPEGGroup/OpenFontFormat GitHub
> <https://github.com/MPEGGroup/OpenFontFormat> ) are much appreciated.

Would it be good to have a new table which is similar in structure to a
GSUB table but which can have in the part to the left of each -> either
one postscript name or a sequence of postscript names and to the right
of each -> a string of Unicode text characters in UTF-16 format - that
is, a string of text characters as one might have in, say, a computer
program written in Pascal, for the avoidance of doubt specifically not a
sequence of postscript names.

I am thinking that this could have various uses, for example, for text
to speech in a language of the font designer's choice, transliteration,
on-screen explanation of emoji - including perhaps the potentially
millions of QID emoji that may soon become encoded into Unicode, so that
a font that supports just a few QID emoji could also include an
explanation of them in a language of the font designer's choice. The
output of the table could be used for any of screen display, tooltip
display, speech output. The use of the table in a font would be optional
and could be simply ignored by an application that does not support it:
also an application that does support the use of the information that is
in the table could have a button to switch that use on or off.

William Overington

Thursday 6 May 2021