[MPEG-OTSPEC] New AHG mandates and other news!

Peter Constable pgcon6 at msn.com
Mon May 10 23:58:17 CEST 2021

William,

You've described a way to organize data, but to get the functionality you described the data would be organized differently: a table that maps glyph ID sequences to string entries in the 'name' table.

But the scenario you have in mind is to use fonts as a way to carry descriptions of Unicode character sequences, and specifically QID emoji sequences-which is an idea that has been proposed but has not been approved by Unicode. Even _if_ the QID emoji proposal were adopted by Unicode-and it's far from clear that it will be-, I don't think it's a good idea to use fonts as a vehicle for transporting descriptions of glyph ID sequences.

  *   For the QID emoji sequence scenario, Unicode strings in general are sent between applications or between devices 99.99% of the time without any font data. So, it's very unclear that it would provide much useful benefit for that scenario.
  *   If it is assumed that text containing QID emoji sequences would _need_ font data to be sent along with the text, then that raises a question of whether the QID proposal provides significant benefit over using PUA characters.
  *   The formats added to the font would not be inherently specific to QID sequences-that is, the design suggests a much more general usage: strings describing arbitrary glyph sequences. But I don't see any real need for such a general mechanism.

It seems to me like you're trying to propose enhancements the font format to address challenges for the QID emoji proposal. For my part, I don't think it's a good idea. Fonts are not the best way to solve those problems. If Unicode is going to consider the QID proposal, then proponents of the proposal need to come up with better ways to address any shortcomings in the proposal.

Peter