[MPEG-OTSPEC] Note on VARC conditions and condition set negation

Liam R. E. Quin liam at fromoldbooks.org
Fri Apr 12 00:56:18 CEST 2024

On Thu, 2024-04-11 at 14:46 -0700, Skef Iterum wrote:
> I understand, but there are reasons the processes discourage this
> sort of thing. It's not just pro-forma.

I’m not sure whether Vlad is expecting to hold more ‘ad hoc’ meetings,
given the likely change in document stage and process.

But first we need to get all the proposals into shape as formal
submissions, and resolve any remaining issues we know of.

If there is general agreement about negated conditions here on the
mailing list, and the mechanism used is not something large and new,
they can be rejected yes, but i don't see all of varc being rejected,
for example, nor the editorial changes in the "update" document i
edited, nor your hinting document, etc.

To answer your question about removal, i think it more likely to be in
terms of an entire feature, not based on how the feature got into the
draft. At the MPEG meeting, people could reject part of a submission,
presumably, but i don’t expect that level of detailed review there.
Change proposals would come (notionally) from outside, via comments
from the individual national standards bodies that make up ISO.

So i think it’s worth exploring a simple proposal, and, if it turns out
that it can’t be accepted for next week, at least we have it ready to
send to NISO or SCC (Canada) or whoever.

liam

--
Liam Quin, https://www.delightfulcomputing.com/
Barefoot Web-slave, antique illustrations:  http://www.fromoldbooks.org