[MPEG-OTSPEC] "New Feature Variations" proposal draft

Skef Iterum skef at skef.org
Tue Jan 2 23:59:50 CET 2024

Background:

    I submitted a proposal for an alternative Feature Variations
    mechanism, worked out by Behdad and myself, with much better scaling
    and independence than the current system. The discussion of that
    proposal was postponed two meetings ago and then accidentally left
    off of the last meeting's agenda. Given the timing, Vlad suggested
    that I put the document into official ISO format due to the short
    time between the upcoming Ad Hoc meeting and the next Working Group
    meeting (if I have these terms right). I said I would do this.

After going through the current working draft and the draft proposal,
I've decided to leave the latter as it is for the purposes of the
upcoming meeting. The primary reason is that it meets the needs of that
discussion better, in that it has the right background information and
presents alternatives in the way that a final draft wouldn't. The other
reason is that I looked back through the various other recent
submissions and, other than the cover page, I don't think this draft
differs all that much in approach.

Therefore I favor discussing
https://github.com/adobe-type-tools/opentype-spec-drafts/blob/main/WG03_new_feat_var.pdf
in its current form and then adapting its content after, as needed. If
that means it slips out of the next Working Group slot, that's life.

Thanks,
Skef