[MPEG-OTSPEC] Draft AHG report to WG3

Vladimir Levantovsky vladimir.levantovsky at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 03:28:51 CET 2022

Makoto,

I have no doubt that as SC34/WG4 Convener you are very familiar with the ISO/IEC Directives that guide our work. Let me remind you of certain key parts of the document.

1. The sub-clause 2.5.6 of “The ISO/IEC Directives — Part 1: Procedures for the technical work” <https://www.iso.org/sites/directives/current/consolidated/index.xhtml#_idTextAnchor160>  emphasizes the definition of consensus given by the ISO/IEC Guide:

“consensus: General agreement, characterized by the absence of sustained opposition to substantial issues by any important part of the concerned interests and by a process that involves seeking to take into account the views of all parties concerned and to reconcile any conflicting arguments.

NOTE     Consensus need not imply unanimity.”

In light of this definition and your email below, have you (or anyone else in this AHG) raised a sustained opposition to any of the substantial parts of the proposed updated CFF2 table description?

2. The sub-clause 2.10.4 of the same document <https://www.iso.org/sites/directives/current/consolidated/index.xhtml#_idTextAnchor206>  clearly and unambiguously states that “No more than 2 separate documents in the form of amendments shall be published modifying a current International Standard. The development of a third such document shall result in publication of a new edition of the International Standard.”

The AHG recommendation follows this exact guidance suggesting that since two amendments have been completed, a new edition of the International Standard should be started. We further recommend that we should create a working draft – the document defined by the sub-clause 2.4 of the Directives <https://www.iso.org/sites/directives/current/consolidated/index.xhtml#_idTextAnchor150>  solely for the purpose of initiating a preparatory stage of the future work and for enabling further technical discussions.

Let me summarize:

-          Your claim that you “do not see consensus here” goes against the very definition of a consensus, which is described as “the general agreement, characterized _by the absence of sustained opposition_”.

-          Your further clarification of your objection as “purely procedural” has no merit – the AHG recommendation follows the ISO/IEC Directives to the letter.

-          Your stated reason for objection is the lack of technical discussions, yet you seem to be objecting to starting a new edition working draft – the very document that would enable future technical discussions.

However, your objection is duly noted. In order to resolve it, I will modify the language of the AHG report as follows:

The AHG recommends that if proposed changes of the updated CFF2 table description (m58948) are adopted, the WG should start the new work item by creating a Working Draft of the new OFF 5th edition text that would incorporate two prior amendments and newly proposed changes.

Vladimir